IMPORTANT: Count your door hinges before ordering. Although most interior doors use 2 hinges, some doors require 3 hinges. Swing Clear Offset Door Hinges. Narrow doorways can be a real handicap for someone using a wheelchair or walker. Residential building codes, architects, and home builders haven't considered the needs of people using a wheelchair or walker. Doors can be widened but it can be an inconvenience and costly. An alternative solution might be replacing your existing 1-1/2" x 3-1/2" hinges with the expandable offset door hinge. These special hinges are designed to swing the door clear of the opening adding about 2" additional clearance for wheelchairs and walkers. Note: The offset hinge can be used in both left and right-hand doors simply by removing and reversing the hinge pins. The corners radius of the offset hinges may be sharper than your existing hinge and could require just a little trimming of the mortise with a utility knife and chisel. Remove existing hinges from the door jam and door. Save all screws. Attach the offset hinge to the door, countersunk holes facing you. Use the same screws just removed in step 1 and screw into existing holes. Repeat this step to attach the second or third offset hinge. Attach the other side of the offset hinge to the door jam (countersunk holes facing you). Use the same screws just removed in step 1 and screw into existing holes. Repeat this step to attach the second or third offset hinge. Tips: It can be easier to install the offset hinges by pulling the hinge pins and then installing the separated hinge halves to the door and jam. Set the door in the opening and reinsert the hinge pins.
- Designed to swing doors completely clear of opening when door is opened 90 degrees
- Installs easily and adds two inches to most any doorway allowing barrier access for most wheelchairs, walkers and transfer chairs
- Works on left-hand or right-hand doors by flipping hinge pin
- Door swings completely outside of jamb adding width to existing door openings
- Decorative brass finish - Uses same screws and holes as the existing hinge